Friday, September 11, 2015

The spectacular Bondi to Coogee Walk

TOP TRENDS
Coogee Rock Pool
Most visitors and citizens of Sydney will have heard of the spectacular Bondi to Coogee Walk, a fabulous coastal walk along some of the most beautiful beaches and bays that Sydney has to offer.
But have you also heard about the Coogee to Maroubra Walk? Well, I didn’t, and when I found myself stranded in Coogee some weeks ago with plenty of time to kill I spontaneously decided to tackle this stretch of the Sydney coast to find out whether this walk would be just as nice as the more famous cousin.
Starting from the sandy shores of Coogee Beach I head south along the water, past the crystal clear Coogee Rock Pool, now in winter deserted but just as attractive looking as in summer. From here I walk past Grant Reserve, where you will find a nice shady playground and the mother-and-child friendly Wylie’s Bath.
A little bit further on, the reserve changes into a rather unpretentious park on top of a cliff with enchanting views of Wedding Cake Island in the distance. The reserve is popular with local dog owners, so maybe not a good place to have a picnic on the grass, but there are benches from which you can enjoy the views and the fresh ocean breeze.
Wedding Cake Island
From here onwards, the walk looks not much different to the one north of Coogee Beach, a mix of gentle declines and ascents, soft limestone rocks, hardy shrubs and grasses, boardwalks, and lots and lots of gorgeous views. As if that’s not enough houses to my right are getting ever more interesting and daring. From grand mansions to modern multi-million dollar villas with manicured gardens and big panorama windows, they themselves can qualify as an attraction on the walk.
Coogee to Maroubra Walk
Highlight on this stretch of coastal walk, however, is the area of regenerated coastal wetlands that are now very accessible thanks to a newly built boardwalk. Even though one of the signs state that this kind of landscape used to be very common in the Sydney area, this is the very first time I come across one.
The wetlands are situated on a rocky plateau that drops down to rocks below on sea level, with a constant stream of water seemingly coming out of nowhere. But I can tell there’s a lot of water crossing through this area, there’s a constant murmur of water all around me and underneath my feet.
If the stream was narrower, more condensed I am sure it would come down with a big thunder, but since it can spread out over this wide area, pooling here and there before falling off the cliff’s surface it is more like an orchestra of trickling and gurgling sounds.
Boardwalk
Lurline Bay
But more than that: I can hear the croaking of frogs around me, somewhat surprising. I get down on my knees, inspect the pools to the left and right of the boardwalk, and yes, now I can also see tiny fish in the water. Insects and birds all around me, a little piece of paradise right in the middle of one of the priciest areas in Sydney.
I spend a little bit of time reading the signs along the way that explain the native wildlife and plants as well as some of the local history. Not far from here used to be one of the first grand mansions of Sydney, complete with a formal English garden and a generous porch overlooking the ocean. If you look closely you can still make out the rectangular area that this gentleman had had levelled for this own pleasure.
Wetlands between Coogee and Maroubra
From here I walk a little bit further along the water, enjoying the views of the calm Pacific just below. I am not lucky today, but I know that very often you can see dolphins in the water, and sometimes whales. Fishermen are hoping for a good catch, dangerously balancing on the rocks. There are rock ledges that I can climb down to, with water collecting in the shallow holes of the rocks. The air down here is moist and salty, standing down here feels like a baptism of some sort.
Rock Fisherman
Natural Pool
Not long now and I will need to return to make my appointment at Coogee Beach. Shortly after passing through a narrow passageway between two houses I turn around. The walk will soon be interrupted by a couple of oceanfront properties, and if you are planning to make this walk sometime in the future don’t be surprised that you will need to cut through the residential streets of South Coogee first before you can return to the coast.
I may not have made it all the way to Maroubra this time but I now know how rewarding a walk along the coast will be. I promise myself to return soon.

 Source: http://www.happinessandthings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reference Posts